With another heat wave right around the corner I thought I would share some tips to keep your house cool while keeping costs low.
- Be sure to place your furniture in a spot that won’t restrict airflow. For example you don’t want the cool air blowing into the back of your couch.
- Use a fan to keep the air moving. A room that is a couple of degrees warmer but has circulating air will be more comfortable than a room that doesn’t have circulating air.
- Use a programmable thermostat so when you aren’t home the air conditioner will run at a warmer temperature and it won’t have to work as hard during the hottest time of the day. Set it at a cooler temperature when your home so you can enjoy the cool air.
- Find simple solutions to heat proof your house such as drawing the shades when the sun starts coming in or apply heat-reflecting film to cut down the heat that passes through windows.
- Make sure your air conditioner is working properly, is the right size for your home, and, if necessary, replace it with a newer model that uses less energy.
Stay cool this summer!