It is almost Memorial Day weekend, which for most means the unofficial start of summer. Many of us will be traveling or barbecuing but it is important to remember the reason we celebrate Memorial Day is to remember military service members who have died in the line of duty. Below are a few Memorial Day facts:
- Over 42 million veterans have served the country in war time.
- 3 million members of the armed services have lost their lives in conflict.
- 3pm is the National Moment of Remembrance, as designated by Congress in 2000.
- 260,000 graves at Arlington National Cemetery are adorned with American flags each Memorial Day.
- New York was the first state to officially recognize Memorial Day in 1873.
- 25 American cities have laid claim to being the birthplace of Memorial Day.
- 62% of Americans plan to barbecue over Memorial Day weekend.
- 39% of Americans plan to travel over Memorial Day weekend.
Have a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend!